Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday – Night 1 - Solo

My first night at the campground is a solo run.  John has a business meeting in Miami.  “No problem I tell him, the boys and I will be fine.” And I mean it still feeling optimistic.

I still have a few boxes to unpack and some organizing to do.  I specifically packed items I feel I would miss during our camping days.  It was not a lot, however, as I start unpacking these items without my husband’s help, I begin to think maybe it’s too much. We have plenty of storage space in the camper, but as much storage as we have, maybe it just wasn't enough.  I ponder for a moment and decide to leave boxes in our Jeep for when my husband arrives home the next night.


It rained hard the first day into the evening, I was trapped in our camper, boxes still unpacked.  It was cozy, but it would soon be dark and the rain was not letting up.  I began to feel somewhat crowded.  The boxes I choose to ignore, our dog, Rabbit and cat, Elmo were lounging around and the two boys had  become stir crazy.  I listen to the rain and for the first time started to wonder, "What did we get ourselves into?"




Elmo the Cat Chillin'  on our 1st rainy night.

My 5 year old, James pipes up out of the blue "Mom, there's a leak!" And sure enough one of the cabinets had water leaking from it.  I texted my husband, plopped down an empty pot and refused to entertain any worry. It'll get fixed I thought, just not tonight. Drip-drip- - Drip.  All of a sudden the power flickered on/off - on/off.  Was it the A/C, the two computers I had plugged in, I wasn't sure, but something was wrong, and computer number 2 was not pulling power.  Crap, what is going on?  Another text to the hubby should fix this.  

I turned the A/C to the off position, and discover our power was definitely out.  A quick check to the power cord connecting us to the outside world.  This is not real I thought.  It was literally smoking and sizzling.  Is the entire place going to go up in flames our first night out? There’s no way this is happening.  Panicked at this point and on the phone with John, he tells me to use a towel and pull the plug.  I'm nervous, it’s dark and wet outside, not to mention creepy as hell and my sons are in the camper alone.  I manage to unplug the cord with a lot of effort.  But what the heck do we do with no power?


Gratefully it's not hot, so no A/C won't be an issue.  And at least it was late enough so the boys can go to sleep, I decided to read a magazine before easily falling to sleep after a long, eventful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment