Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wednesday - Day 52 - The Anchor

Saying good-bye to the Graf Family was a solemn reminder that I am the anchor at the campground and many of the people I will meet are ships passing through. I waited and watched as The Graf family drove out of the campground, I stood there, holding Ty, waving good-bye. I didn't feel sadness as much as I felt the impact of my new reality setting in.

My farewell to The Graf Family reminded of saying good-bye to my family in New York.  It’s hard to leave, but I know I will see them again.....eventually.  I knew they had to move on, but the thought and the reality were two very different things.  I will miss Alex, Bob and Daphne. They are the first family who I felt a strong connection with.  My thoughts and prays will be with them throughout their journey and I plan to stay in touch with them until they come back to New Smyrna Beach again.

The Graf Family 
I thought about their reality, on the go, moving from event to event, state to state.  How difficult it must be to continually move, while working so hard.  There's a romantic view of being on the road exploring and visiting different parts of the country.  That is a reality I hope to make for myself one day, one that is a very different life compared to what The Grafs are doing.  They are a hardworking family, doing something they love, but are on a tight schedule and have specific places to be all year long.  I honestly don’t know how they do it, but they do. What really is impressive, is they never complained, appeared so calm about getting packed up to move on and I love that their family is tight. It's an interesting lifestyle especially with a teenage daughter. I imagination they'll have the most incredible memories to look back on, having meet people all over the country.  It’ll be interesting to learn what’s changed for them in the year until we see them again.

Look for their truck, next Oktoberfest or Festival you attend
http://www.schnitzelsngiggles.com/
James drew special pictures today with Daphne.  He woke up this morning, while I was in the shower and the first thing he thought to do was visit The Grafs. He came home with a bunch of art work.  He really enjoyed spending time with them.  James is learning so much about living here.  I’m not sure he understands all the dynamics of people coming and going, but as time continues he will learn it is part of this new experience we call life.

James enjoyed his time with Daphne

We went to T-ball and dinner tonight with all our kids and our friends, Greg and Chelley. Happily, I know they won’t be moving on, we get to keep them close. We had a fabulous time chatting and enjoying one another’s company. We are also like family and it is easy spending time with them.  There are no judgments and I know they care for our kids the way we care for theirs. "It Takes a Village” is exactly how I feel when I’m with them. We look out for one another’s kids and it feels natural. Greg and Chelley always ask about our older kids when they are not with us and our younger kids all get along like brothers.  I love them to pieces. I’m not sure how we got so lucky to have them in our lives, but I tend to think there was a little divine intervention in our life paths.  I will save that thought for another blog entry.

To good friends, new and old, close and far, it’s always a beautiful day when we can share it with the ones we love.

My daughter Haley and her boyfriend, Ross, at dinner tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment