Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday - Day 42 - Gain is Good Growth

Our kids are a product of who we are, what we teach them, through our actions and how we show them our love every day.

I have been told, I couldn't do what you're doing, especially with small kids. It intrigues me and I ask myself, "Why do I feel living in an RV isn't any harder then living in a house or an apartment?" I certainly don't think my kids are better behaved. I don't think I'm different from most moms. I have all the same kid hassles, I get frustrated over the same things. My patience wears thin, it's part of parenting.

I do try to focus on all the benefits that are in my favor, which in turn make my life easier. For example, the pool I don't have to maintain, the park in my front yard, plenty of bike riding space, a bunk house cave, and freedom. James is learning independence and he is learning to adapt to a new environment, but he is also learning from the examples John and I set.

If I focus on the easy aspects of living here, that's all he'll learn and remember. He has no preconceived notions of how life "should" be. I find his growth fascinating with each of our moves. John asked James today, did you like the Texas apartment better or living here in the campground better?" James didn't skip a beat. "I like them both, dad!"

I know living in an RV has brought our family closer, physically as well as emotionally. Even when all the kids are over with their friends, it's been a cool experience. We are in close proximity, we talk and laugh and listen. It's quality time all the time. How could I trade that for separation in a big house?

I use to live in a big house in Texas, back in another lifetime. I only used three of the ten rooms on a daily basis. One room was never furnished. It was a little sad when I think back to those seven lonely rooms.

When, we lived in our small cabin I thought we needed a bigger house, but now I realize we just needed less stuff. Funny, how perspective can change everything.

When we lived on the third floor apartment in Texas, it created challenges at times, but we soon didn't think twice about climbing the stairs, with groceries, a dog and a baby, we just did it.

I currently don't think much about showering in a camper these days. I just do it. Interesting how those things that we 'think' make life harder seem to always get easier with time. They get easier and our minds adapt to those things we can not change. The things we can change allow for tremendous growth, and only short term pain. The expression, "No pain, No gain" sounds cliche, but those four small words have incredible value. I believe short term pain, is always better then long term un-fulfillment.

I also believe anything is possible with a good perspective. Life is truly short, and when I'm on my death bed I want to be able to say, "I've done everything I wanted to do, at least once." As a result my kids will have benefited from my own life experiences. My hope is they will carry similar passions on to their adult lives and then to their own children. They'll have memories and stories to be shared and passed down with each generation.

I look forward to hearing James share childhood stories with his children. He'll talk about living in the campground, with grandma, grandpa and baby Ty and driving to the beach in the orange Jeep, with no doors, and life was good.






No comments:

Post a Comment