Sunday, April 28, 2013

Saturday - Day 62 - Ironic Reality

Watching our kids mature and grow up is bittersweet.  We love that they have become independent, yet long for one more moment of their childhood, which seems to have slipped away.

My step-daughter, Haley recently turned seventeen.  She went to her prom today with her boyfriend.  When I met Haley she was nine, almost ten.  She was cute, bubbly and loved her daddy to death.  I learned early on not to get in the middle of their relationship. They have a very special bond.


Haley & her daddy!
(the day James was born)

Taking photos of Haley today, all grown up, was a sobering reminder of how fast our children grow.   Haley looked stunning in her dress.  She and her boyfriend took beautiful photos together.  I could not help but consider the similarities her prom portraits, in the garden setting, would have with her wedding day.  Even if we have to wait another ten years to see her get married, it too will feel like an instant in time.

Haley and her boyfriend before prom.

Haley and her daddy on prom day.

John and I have the advantage of having younger children to hug and hold and cherish before they too grow up on us too.  I find on days like today, we watch them closer and hold them tighter.

The drastic difference between our seventeen year old and almost seventeen month year old is enormous, however seeing them together is a sobering reminder at how quickly our children find their way and move on to living their own lives without us.  They don't need us in the same way. They love us, but do not depend on us for the same things.

Haley and her littlest brother.
17 years vs. 17 months


I am grateful John and I made the decision to move back to New Smyrna Beach.  Living in our RV was the best decision we have ever made and I would not trade a single thing.  Living in close quarters with our boys at a time when our older children are moving into the next stages of their lives is an ironic reality.  My little boys are sweet and precious exactly how all my stepchildren were when I met them.  Holding on to these moments is all I want to do before it's time to move on to something new.



Precious moments to cherish
James' Birthday, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment