Friday, July 19, 2013

Wednesday - Day 143 - Santa and his Elf

I find I am most fascinated by the strange and unusual people in the campground.   No where in my lifetime have I been exposed to such interesting folk.

I've had an old guy, who resembles a homeless Santa Clause, staying right across the way.  I can see his campsite from my windows.  He is not jolly and not once have I seen him break a smile. 


Santa without his shirt,
this was the best photo I took 

He has his little Elf in tow.  She follows him around everywhere.  She is a young, round, little girl.  His granddaughter I suspect, my heart goes out to her.  She is small, yet well over an acceptable weight for a girl of her age.  She uses a pacifier.  The vision is daunting.

The two walked their dogs together, one big, the other small, just like the two of them.  One of my full time neighbors told me they never pick up their dog poo.  This piece of information made me even more curious about the man and the child.  How come they don't clean up after their dogs?  Do they not know any better?  Or do they just not care, rebels in their own world.  I envisioned what their camper looked like,  I imagined it was filthy.


 
Ty running towards Santa & his Elf,
He was fascinated with their dogs. 


I felt a deep concern.  I tried waving to them on my way out today.  Neither waved back, I got a sad, but curious look from the girl and a look of dismay from the Santa man.   I made a mental note to talk to them later.  I really wanted to get a good photo and discover their story, assuming they would even speak to me.

My hopes were lofty, I soon learned they moved on, before I had time to make good on my intentions.  I wondered where they went.  Maybe my wave scared them off.  I should have introduced myself sooner, now all I have is my mind full of made up stories about who they could be, and the struggles they may have endured.  

We all enter this world with purity, what what happens in our lives is illustrated on our faces and in our appearance.  That little girl has had a very different life compared to my boys, I could see the hardship in her eyes.  I pray she is protected and safe, yet part of me fears her life will never be easy.



From my window of untold stories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment