Saturday, July 13, 2013

Wednesday - Day 136 - "Who Cares"

Jack had a problem today.  The 'strange kid' , the one I was suspicious of after first meeting him, had a confrontation with Jack today

As the story goes, Jack was in the campground showers with two other scouts. They were in three different shower stalls, talking amongst themselves.

Jack was interrupted by a nasty toilet bowl plunger, as it was thrown into his shower changing area, and hit his face through the shower curtain.


Jack was angry, to say the least.  He put on a towel and threw the plunger back at the kid.  It only hit the kid's feet, but according to Jack, it scared the 'crap' out of him.


Jack shared this story with me via text and in person the next morning.  It really bothered him that the kid was 'messing' with him on purpose, but I think Jack was happy he stood his ground.

I explained to Jack, that I thought the boy had emotional neglect issues and possibly had a difficult childhood.  Sadly, one the Boy Scouts knew of the kid, and confirmed my suspicions.

The sad part is, I don't know if I should feel bad for the kid and try to talk to him or mind my own business and make sure James keeps his distance.  There is a fine social line drawn.

A child, unloved and uncared for up to societal standards is stuck.  These children are stuck with a bad hand dealt in life.  They are stuck navigating through life, with no support, no idea of what the difference is between right and wrong.  They do not have values instilled in them as kids and they grow up as adults with less emotional skills.   They have no deep care for others, no understanding of right or wrong, no learned love.  Is this their fault?


They may grow up and avoid jail, drugs and poverty. They may manage to overcome their circumstances and go to college, become self sufficient, but they will always have a self loathing inside, and demons to fight, because there is still a child inside, who no one cared about.  

Maybe, I will check on this kid next time I run into him at the campground.  I can't change his circumstances, but maybe he'll talk to me.  He has tried to talk to me, while I was doing laundry on day.  Maybe next time I will listen and try to understand, life from his perspective. 



No comments:

Post a Comment