Friday, May 31, 2013

Wednesday - Day 94 - Strange Kids

What do you do when a strange little boy wants to play with your son?  You don't want to be mean and tell the kid to go away, but you also don't want the kid to influence your own child either.

John and I took notice of a new friend who followed James home today.  The boy lived at the campground almost his entire life.  He was awkwardly in James' space and there were things the boy said, which made John and I think twice about whether or not James needed to be hanging around with him.  Ironically, John and I were aligned about the same things without discussing them until after the boy had left.

This evening we talked to James about the boy and our concerns.  Interestingly, I think James felt exactly the same.  He actually admitted this to us, "That boy annoyed my ass!"  John and I looked at one another and smirked.  James got his point across effortlessly.  We felt more at ease after James expressed his own opinions, and considering the boy is three years older than James, we were certain James had the upper hand.

James has come into his own and is very independent at the campground.  He 'borrows' change from his dad's cup and buys candy bars from the lady at the office.  He takes quarters and eagerly purchases toys from the vending machine.  He has claimed his lay of the land and I am certain he rules his own roost.

I can only hope no one ever thinks my son is one of those "strange kids" telling their kids not to play with him.  My son may be silly and sweet, but definitely never strange.





No comments:

Post a Comment