Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sunday - Day 84 - Speakers

We awoke early at my brother's home.  Our day began early with another day filled with family and our journey home.

Nassau Coliseum College Graduation

My niece was graduating from Adelphi University today with honors.   I was very much looking forward to seeing her earn her much deserved achievement.  She would be one soul among many that day; finding her name among hundreds was a sweet moment. Hearing her name called after waiting hours was a defining moment in her life, translated to my own.

Ariana Rose Candela

Her degree in Social Work, a field I regrettable passed up, was an exceptional choice for who she is.  I can foresee her succeeding with confidence and she will touch many lives in the years ahead.

The chosen speakers at her graduation also touched lives with their own stories of success, in addition some were also honored with degrees.  I will mention only a few.

Burt Young, an actor and artist, well known for his role in "Rocky" spoke of his fascinating journey.

Carlton Douglas Ridenhour, also known as Rap Artist "Chuck D", gave an honest account of his failures which made him a better man and taught him valuable lessons.

Doreen Downs Miller, M.B.A., a founding member of the institute for parenting.  I had no idea there was a post-masters degree in parenting.

Bert N. Mitchell, C.P.A., M.B.A., served on numerous boards and organizations.  He was the first African American to head a state society of C.P.A.s in the United States.  As an immigrant from Jamaica, West Indies, his credentials were outstanding.  He made the biggest impact on me, considering I too am working towards my CPA and have a long road to ahead compared to his achievements.

As we gathered our things to leave for the airport and say good-bye I knew it would be another six months before I saw my family again.  It is a difficult reality, but one I have come to accept.


Proud in so many ways

James could not wait to see Ariana and give her so many hugs.

I reflected on the weekend, it went fast, but was packed with goodness.  We discovered at the airport there was a ground stop in Atlanta, due to President Obama speaking at an all black college graduation in Atlanta,  Like us, he also sat through a college graduation and touched many different students with his words.  I would guess he spoke about how he succeeded despite oppression, and how he did not let this hold him back.  I am sure he hoped his words would lift his listeners hearts and possibly change their lives forever.

The speakers at my niece's graduation were all different and successful in many ways.  They all made life decisions that allowed opportunity to change their lives.

We all have choices in life.  John made a choice to give me his first class upgrade on our last leg home to Daytona Beach. He always makes good life choices.

When we landed, I over heard two people discussing the ground stop, and I shared it was for the president, who was making a commencement speech Another gentleman was carefully listening to us, he soon shared he had been at the Morehouse College graduation and heard Obama speak.  I wondered if his life had changed or if he still felt slightly inconvenienced.

James was exceptionally good through the entire ceremony,
one day we will be sitting at his. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment