Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Monday - Day 78 - RVs: Past & Future

I love my sister, Margaret. She finds things on the internet and thinks of me.  She sent me a link over the weekend, "RV's, Past, Present and Future".  It wasn't simply that she sent me a link, but she pegged one of the photos to be John, Ty and I.  I loved the photo so much, I had to write an entire blog entry around it.

Since 1918, a covered wagon with an engine was used as a home on wheels.  How fancy did they think they were riding around in their 'motor' home?  The very first adapters simply added a motor to the covered wagons once being toted around by horses.


1918, Early adopters in 1918
prepare a meal on the back of their "housecar".

Trailers came in all shapes and sizes.  It fascinates me that no matter what decade you choose people had a desire to travel the country in a trailer, a fifth wheel or a bus.

1917 Adams Motor Bungalo, the original 5th wheel

1927 Ford-based house car

A family road trip in an early trailer

During the depression trailers were advertised to promote the ease and cost savings to travel with your "hotel".  During difficult economic times, I would bet many people were desirous to live, long term, in a shinny silver dome trailer, in lieu of a traditional home.  It was inexpensive and just as comfortable as home.

"A typical advertisement for trailers in the
depression era promised all the comforts of home."

With each new decade, RVs transformed from practical homes on wheels to more stylish options. I think it became more about how they appeared traveling as much as how the RVs looked on the inside.

A late 1940s trailer arriving at a campsite

A 1937 Curtiss Aerocar luxury 5th-wheel,
behind a custom 1937 international Harvester truck

Below is a typical 1940's family.  This gentleman was an aviation worker, much like my own husband who works in aviation.  He and his family enjoyed a meal in their trailer.  This is the photo my sister emulated to my family.  It's John, Ty and I and we will assume James is outside playing in the dirt.


A movable feast, this 1946 family enjoyed a meal in their trailer.

In more recent decades RVs became stylish and more convenient to tow.  Often bought to match their current stylish vehicle.

"A 1950's 'canned ham' trailer with a typical '50s 'bulgemobile'"

The early addition model vehicles were not as pretty.  In 1959, the first motorized vehicle to be called a "motarhome" instead of a "house car".

"First of it's kind made in Brown City, MI, 1959 Frank Motorhome

In round two, the 1961 Motorhome had an incredible transformation   It was redesigned by the son of the company's owner,  he was still in high school at the time.

The 1961 second generation Frank motorhome
featured a more aerodynamic shape

Innovation came and went.  Dual purpose amphibian homes could be used as traditional trailers or as houseboats.

'Surf 'n turf:  A 23-foot combo-cruiser  amphibian home.
A more current amphibious model motorcoach is a "self-washing pleasure craft"  This RV has a top speed of seven knots.  Personally, I think I would rather just pull my own boat behind our current trailer.

The Terra Wind amphibious motorcoach,
on the Potomac River in Ft. Washington

Now compare our RV to a future model, the eleMMEnt, which looks more like a futuristic spaceship than an RV.

Our current "Premier" RV

Luxury RV eleMMent

The entertainment lounge of the eleMent

For more photos and history on RVs past and future.  Visit http://photos.msn.com/slideshow/autos/rvs-past-present-and-future/23aqp0m9#1.  I found it fascinating to see how far we've come and the future is even more entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment