Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Monday - Day 71 - Boys to Men

I remind myself every day I am not raising boys, I am raising men.  Maybe my husband reminds me more often, than I remind myself.  Nevertheless, I find it to be a valuable advice for anyone who has a son.

I was packing up the car to take the boys to their first swim lesson, James was nearby; his little voice carried through the trees.  I turned around and there he was, a few spots back, helping one of the maintenance men clean up palm branches compiled over the last few days.  James was running every which way gathering more and more branches and tree debris to place into the back of the truck.  I was thrilled to see he was actually helping and thoroughly enjoying the task.  James’ enthusiasm for hard work made me smile inside.  He will need to learn many valuable things to be a good man one day, and landscaping, even the simple task of picking up tree branches, is good for him.

Hard day of 'Manly' work
(....okay, more like 15 minutes)

Swim lessons and knowing how to swim, float and protect oneself in the water, is also a valuable lesson.  It is important James has confidence in and out of the water.  He did a fabulous job with the instructor, showing off what he already knew and wowing all of us with his current abilities.  The instructor quickly built trust with James and he was soon swimming a little further, and floating for short periods of time.  I absolutely made the best decision, taking time for lessons every day.  James will achieve that last bit of confidence in the water that he needed, specifically in the deep end.  Next summer after he has mastered swimming, he will be ready for surf camp, the ultimate sport for any young man.  My son, the surfer, imagine that?




James played in his last T-ball game today.  I've seen him make tremendous improvements over the last few weeks.  He played on the pitcher’s mound and learned to actively and aggressively run for the ball.  His hitting and throwing have improved.  He listens well to directions and knows when he makes a good play, abet cheers of encouragement, building his confidence to get to the next level.  He has transformed into a ball player this season.  It has been a joy watching him succeed step by step.  Last year, he struggled and honestly, he was not very good.  This season, I was convinced he will be able to stick with it and learn to be a team player, to play with confidence and to succeed.  Life lessons any boy needs to be a good man as he grows up.

Last time getting ready to bat!
He hit it every time this season!

His 1st Trophy
His excitement made up for the fact they don't even keep score. 

I plan to enroll James in piano lessons this week.  This was something I was hesitant about, but as usual I gave my husband the benefit of the doubt.  We live in a camper, why in the world would I sign James up for lessons if we can't own a piano?  I thought more seriously about it after observing James in his swim lesson and discovered how capable he was at following directions and how quickly he adapted to his new instructor.  He has the ability to be a quick learner and music instruction would definitely advance his academics in leaps and bounds.  James does not need to be a great piano player; however lessons will train his brain to think from a new perspective.  It could never harm him, only benefit and this is an ideal age to introduce music instruction.  I suppose we can manage a keyboard in the camper. Maybe he'll play keyboard in a band one day, maybe not, but he will a choice, men deserve choices in life.

http://cuchettimusic.com/

The most beneficial aspect of ensuring James is well rounded is the influence he will have on his little brother. Ty is already learning many things from his big brother.  He also did well in his swim lesson.  He cried and fussed, but he was a champ.  I know he will adapt as the weeks move on.  Most importantly, Ty had his brother close by, encouraging him and gently touching him, giving him reassurance that he was doing well.  Ty will look up to his brother, and he will want to please and impress his older brother.  They will do many things together and be best friends, at least that's all a mother can hope for. Together as boys to men, they will always have each other

I tucked my men into their bunk beds; I gave them each a kiss, as they soundly slept.  I am proud and watch with wonder as they grow up together.  Living here in the campground opens windows of opportunity.  We have more disposable income to give the boys things we may not have otherwise afforded, we are exposing them to an alternative lifestyle. Their young experiences will stay with them for a lifetime. They are happy in spite of those things they currently don't know they don't have and it makes me happy every day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment