Monday, May 6, 2013

Sunday - Day 70 - Irrational Fears

I spontaneously enrolled both boys in ISR (Infant Swimming Resource) lessons which are going to take place everyday, at my friend, Chelley's, home this week and for the next few weeks.

http://www.infantswim.com

It was one of those things that fit a need I was trying to fill; to enroll James in swim lessons. The convenience and safe haven of being at my friend’s home was what motivated me to sign both boys up.

I had always wished I gave James swim lessons at an earlier age, I suspect he’d be a better swimmer like his, same age, friend Max.  Ty will have a better chance of becoming fearless in the water starting his lessons now, instead of waiting until he's three, like I did with James.

James loves the water, as does Ty.  Knowing we will be at different pools during the summer, at the campground, at our friend’s house, at vacation homes and hotels, I will have peace of mind and reassurance that both boys will be able to swim or at least float no matter where we take them.

The decision was made quickly without much thought to how Ty will behave or to the expense.  It was also made without my husband’s input, considering he is out of the country this week.  I am nervous, but confident I made the right choice.  I trust my friend Chelley a great deal and I see how well her boys do in the water.  Both her boys have taken the class multiple times and have done very well.  However, as a mother, there are always irrational fears of the unknown.

I, myself, never had swim lessons, so I never learned how to swim and I have my own fears of the water.  I use to conquer these fears regularly when I learned and actively scuba dived.  I am extremely happy I learned and look forward to diving again in the future. but, I still have fears.  Deep down, I realize my nerves are more about my own personal history, then it is about my boys learning to swim.

I understand the instructor is certified and has been trained to conduct the classes.  She is also a certified nurse.  I know both boys will be fine and they will do well.  However, the thought of Ty under water learning to hold his breath and float, which will ultimately save his life in an emergency, scares the crap out of me.  I recognize it is an irrational fear, but the feelings are apparent and very real.  I will keep my own emotions in check to ensure the boys are protected and they will grow to be better, stronger individuals because of it.

Dr. Harvey Barnett, who created the ISR program
w/ two of his well trained students

I find it funny how something so simple can churn up such strong emotions.  I am sure after we have completed the first class all my fears and emotions will subside and each day will get easier.  My rational brain tells me so.

Living in the campground gets easier with each day as well.  A routine becomes established and days turn into months. Will months turn into years?  In the meantime, each day is an important part of the bigger picture.  Each experience brings us closer to our goals, maintaining safe and happy children, while achieving financial freedom, regardless of any irrational fears.




No comments:

Post a Comment