Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tuesday - Day 65 - Palmetto Bug - Shmalmetto Bug

The rain was coming down hard late in the evening, the sound penetrated my bedroom. The cat was meowing just as loud. He had not been out all day, rain or no rain I pushed him out the door.

The rain pounded louder and after fifteen minutes I took pity on the cat.  I went to each door and called for him. He didn't come, but a big, huge palmetto bug helped itself inside.

Palmetto Bug - Florida eco travel guide
 www.wildflorida.com

In Florida, we have Palmetto bugs.  I think they are a cousin of the infamous cockroach.  As far as I was concerned they are one and the same.  It was huge, it was disgusting and it was on my counter. With no husband to save me, I grabbed two red solo cups and captured the little bugger.

I stood there and looked at the cups that covered the nasty little creature.  What do I do?  I mustered up the courage and attempted to spray it to death with lysol.  I slowly titled the cup back a tiny millimeter, enough so I could see it's antennas creeping out.  I was utterly skeeved out, but I sprayed as much lysol as I could and placed the cup back down as fast as I could.  John was not coming home until later the next day.  The cup was not going anywhere, and either was the Palmetto bug.

My courageous plot to end the bugs life.


How did the contestants of Fear Factor ever eat cockroaches, especially the Madagascar hissing kind?  No amount of money would ever convince me to do it. I can't even look at them without being disgusted.

When I climbed into my bed, I felt like little bugs were crawling everywhere.  I turned on the lights more then once to make sure it was only my imagination.  It most certainly was, but I was still creeped out simply knowing the ancient critter was in the RV was enough to spook me.

Living in a camper definitely invites the great outdoors inside.  It's something I am getting use to.  John promised me he would spray outside to keep the bugs at bay, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.  There are lots of little nooks and crannies for all sorts of things to sneak inside.  As long as I can't see them, I'm okay and as long as they stay out of my cabinets containing my cups, plates, and food, I'll be okay.


Under our bathroom sink, that light leads
to 'the great outdoors'  yikes!

By the time John arrived home, the creature was dead under the cup and John disposed of it fearlessly out the door.   James thought it was cool.  I was happy to get it out of the house.

Palmetto Bug - Shmalmetto Bug. It's all the same to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment