Saturday, June 1, 2013

Thursday - Day 95 - "Wait, where do I live?"

Sometimes being displaced can be beneficial, but it helps if you remember to share key aspects of your life with the right people. 

I was pulled over by a police officer today.   Regrettably, I was doing 55 in a 40.  I was more concerned that I lost my license on my way home from New York this month and had nothing to offer the policeman, other then my total honesty. 

I told him I had a Georgia license and he asked me if I lived in Florida permanently.  I told him I did and even gave him the campground address.  He wrote it all down, but had no idea I just give him the address of a local campground.


He couldn't find my license in the system, and after a few more inquiries he soon learned why I had a Georgia license, Texas plates and lived in sunny Florida.  What he really wanted to know was when I was planning to update everything.  I did not know it was a misdemeanor not to get a Florida license after living here for only a month.  My shocked expression gave it all away, he knew I was telling the truth.  I also believe he was politely trying to inform me, I could go to jail if I did not hurry on over to DMV the very next day, or so I assumed. ;). 


I assured him I would go and get everything up to date and he graciously let me go with a very nice and fair warning.  I do wonder if James was giving him a sly smile from the back seat.  

I felt fortunate I didn't get a ticket, but reality soon set in.  How the heck was I going to get a license with no permanent address?  I was planning a trip to the DMV up until the moment before I took time to think the situation through.  

No permanent address meant no license.  My husband put it all in perspective for me when I relayed the entire story.  "All you had to tell him, was that you were on vacation and staying at the campground ...... indefinitely."  

That was more or less true.  Now why hadn't I thought of that? 



No comments:

Post a Comment