Sunday, June 9, 2013

Friday - Day 103 - The Value of Life

A weekend away to spend with girlfriends is always a much welcomed event.  

It's not about the beautiful hotel room, with it's plush linens, or the perfectly soothing shower, but it is more about the chance to reconnect with friends.  There are no children to interrupt our girl talk and all the freedom we would want. 

Seeing Rebecca and Bonnie again, the first time since we moved from Dallas, was such a sweet homecoming.  We all have boys the same age, who played T-ball together.  We have this uncanny knack to effortlessly spend time together and talk on any subject, no matter how racy.  Anything goes and that is what I love most about my girls. 

Interestingly enough, I also experienced this on my flight to Dallas listening to two strangers behind me.  They initially struck up a normal conversation about kids and having kids.  However, their conversation soon turned into a free range of political expression.

He was a twenty-two year old conservative Christian man, expecting his first child with his new wife.  She a thirty-something mother of three, traveling with her entire family.  

They spoke loudly, therefore, I didn't feel bad about eavesdropping on their entire conversation.

He opened up about his values instantly. He attended bible study college and was encouraged to get married as soon as possible.  I found this to be an interesting way to teach students, but considering I have no frame of reference on what is and isn't appropriate study at Bible College, I let that go. 

After sharing more about his mission, he ultimately told the mother of three how he will be going to abortion clinics and will be working to convince pregnant girls to keep their child and consider adoption.  

He also made it a point to firmly declare that abortion is murder and how horrendous it is.  The mother of three didn't strongly agree or disagree, and the subject was soon changed. 

After the woman attended to her two year old, the young gentleman began talking about all the unwanted children in the United States and he and his wife will consider adoption after they have at least five of their own children. 

My biggest concern with what I heard had nothing to do with the moral issues around abortion, it was more about one big problem rolling into another.  I felt his youth and lack of life experience would create obstacles for him on his journey.  I also wondered if he was taught the value of birth control, the root of both problems he spoke about.   

Our values and virtues define who we are and our place in society, and with age, these values often evolve and change. This twenty-two year old is actively throwing his values and virtues out into the world.  He has conviction, confidence and honesty.  I wonder, "Who in this world he will influence and how?"  He certainly made an impression on me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment