Friday, June 14, 2013

Thursday - Day 109 - Gators & Heels

Trying to do 'normal' people things, when in reality I live a very unconventional lifestyle always makes me wonder how I appear to keep it all together.  

I took James to school all week, he had to be there by 7:37 every morning and I picked him up at 5:30 each evening.  He is in a summer, voluntary Pre-k program, Florida state offers to all preschoolers.  He loved every minute.  James has a knack of finding good stuff in his days, even in a school environment.  

Ty is still a little fish in his swim lessons each day.  He is my sweet little man, even on occasion when his feelings get hurt and his little lip quivers with sadness.  I just eat him up until he starts to laugh.

I also had a job interview today.  It was a last minute add on to the schedule yesterday.  I asked a good friend to watch Ty for a few hours while I pretended I live a very conventional life. 

I have to be totally honest, (as my writing will reflect), putting on a suit and heels, while carefully walking around a sandy campground, loading Ty and all my crap into the car, while managing the dog, is not my idea of fun and games.  However, the thought of capturing the moment in my blog, suddenly made it more amusing. 

If anyone caught a glimpse of me tiptoeing around my Jeep, in my heels, I'm sure they would have been wondering, "Where is she going all dressed up, in her rugged, sand covered orange Jeep?"

No sand in this shoe!

I had a successful interview, which could potentially change my life, if I am offered the position.  I managed to get through the entire interview process with no one the wiser; no one knew I lived in my RV with my family, and my pets and that I write a daily blog.  My alternate reality was safe.

However, right before I left, the owners wife noticed I had raccoon prints on the front of my Jeep.  She and I had just completed an informal interview, as she is involved with the business as well.   I smiled, and paused, and pondered, "How much should I share?"  



"Racoon tracks, a hint into my life" 


I took a risk, feeling comfortable with my acquaintance, and I shared how we lived in a very casual manner, my adventurous side kicking in.  I figured, if it hurt my interview, maybe the job was not the right fit.  I know I caught the woman a little off guard, but she hid it well.  No one can fault me for being honest. 

I like my unconventional world, and when I leave my camping world, no one knows anything about me.  They may know I drive a bright orange jeep with Texas plates and a Gator wheel cover.  It is interesting the things that will make a lasting impression.  The Jeep and Gator cover brought me the most attention in my interview, especially with all the male management I met.  If they only knew what else lies beneath the otherwise normal appearance, in my suit and heals and my alternate reality. 

"Gators & Sand &  Heels, Oh My!"




No comments:

Post a Comment