Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Monday - Day 141 - What A Mom Needs

Another day, another week in the campground.  I did two loads of lovely laundry and packed two awesome bags for the boys for our family vacation next week.  James had school and piano lessons today as well.

My day wasn't particularly extraordinary.  I cleaned the camper, specifically the bathroom.  I moved my computer for a change of scenery.  I moved Ty to watch a movie on a different TV.  I have adapted to well to life in an RV, but I do look forward to working again, as my days seem to drag a little when I'm not on vacation.

Oh, wait, I live on vacation.  My regular life is camping and avoiding strange people, yet my entire summer I have manage to take weekend or week trips away.  Family trips, girlfriend trips, it seems there has been something planned every other week.  It has been great summer fun.

This Friday, will be my last trip, with the entire family for our annual vacation with all the kids.  We will be taking the kids to California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona .  It is one last vacation, before I finally work on getting back into the real world of work.  I'm actually looking forward to a 'normal' life, whatever that means.

Stay at home moms, hats off to all of you.  It's great to be home to plan outings and adventures, to run errands, keep the house clean and be with the children, especially when they are still babies.  Personally, now that Ty is closing in on his second year, I am all for being a working girl and letting a good school take over.  An environment with solid structure.

Staying at home has challenges, it's unpredictable, there are no breaks and little to no time for yourself.  Life is always about the next diaper change, the next meal to be made, the next mess to clean up and the next nap.  I cherish my time at home, but I will also embrace a fundamental routine of working and coming home to cook and spend quality time with the kids before tucking them into bed.

No one way is right or wrong, it's only about what's right for each individual person and it's all about good timing.  Here's a link to an interesting article in More Magazine about moms and their life choices.


Just when I thought my day was pretty much over, it became interesting.  There was a knock at the RV door.  James met new friends, three sweet children and their mom were at my door.  My first impression, they look 'normal'.  The mother was kind enough to introduce herself to me and check in about James playing with her kids.  She had no idea how welcomed her gesture was.  She was genuinely interested when I revealed we were full timers.  Some people find this fascinating, she had no idea how she suddenly made my uneventful, typical day a little more interesting.  

I will be certain to make a trip to the pool tomorrow and talk to her more, at the very least to thank her.  James told me she walked him home after he played with the kids, before it turned dark.  My mommy alerts were calm, collective, and reassured.  James' new family was just like us, on the inside and out. 

I find it fascinating how life always gives us what we want when we need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment