Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday - Day 19 - How life has changed

After nineteen days in our RV I have a clear idea of how my life has adapted and changed. It actually doesn't feel as if nineteen days have passed, but in one short week we will have been living in our camper for an entire month. So far I have adapted to the following:

1. Less cleaning. I try to vacuum once a day which only takes a few minutes. I also sweep as needed. My favorite part is not needing to pick up the dirt, I open the door and sweep it all outside. James and Ty love when I do this. I actually cleaned the bathroom today and it only took a few minutes, won't John be surprised. I find myself using paper dishes, but on occasion I still use our plates and we use silverware and mugs. I clean dishes a few times a day. A mindless task I enjoy considering an empty sink is a happy place for me.

2. Less groceries. I actually try to only go grocery shopping once a week. This week was an exception. My weekly trip to Target, before James' T-ball practice, was cut short this week. I reluctantly made an additional trip to Walmart yesterday to get diapers and a few other items for dinner tonight. Keeping my trips limited prevents over shopping and my savings is huge. For the fridge, outside of condiments, I won't buy what I know we won't eat in a week and unless we run out of something it won't even make it to my mini shopping list. I keep only pantry items that I know the boys will snack on daily. And my baking/cooking cabinet is neatly stored with items I normally use. I will admit the 'Buy One, Get One' sales are tempting, but I find myself saying 'No' more often then not.

3. I've become more frugal. Less shopping overall means I am very thoughtful on what I do buy. I am very efficient with food, cooking and nothing goes to waste. We eat all our leftovers. I also find myself explaining to James why we can't buy certain items because they won't fit in the fridge or why we don't need that extra big tub of cheese balls.
A perfect example of this is yesterday. I gave James a limit on how much he could spend on a 'small' toy in Walmart. One to three dollars only as he could read the amounts displayed. He finally picked out a $1 paddle ball, the kind with the string attached. He literally had a ball with it until it broke today. I won't feel bad when I decide to throw it away. It's all needless stuff, I am sure the Chinese Gods are laughing at us.

4. More time outdoors and lots of Fresh Air. When the shades and windows are open, the birds are audible and it's like sitting outside without having the chill of the windy air blowing on me. We find plenty of excuses to go outside. Due to the fresh air we are all well rested, both boys sleep till at least 7:30am and Ty takes 2 nice naps a day. Even James may sneak an afternoon nap in, something he had not been doing for a while.
I have found a nice spot in the woods for rabbit to poop each morning so I don't have to pick it up. He is a creature of habit and enjoys his little piece of heaven.
As I walk with the boys I have become friendly and more social. I feel safe getting to know the people I live near and faces have become familiar.

5. No Wifi (temporarily). I have been to the office 1x this week for a specific download. Otherwise, I manage my blog on my iPhone. I also manage all my banking/bill pay with my iPhone. It's such a novel, convenient concept. I never have to go to a bank again.

Making a home. Overall I am feeling at home here. I haven't felt cooped up or uncomfortable in any regard. Even the pets have found their comfy places in the camper. James likes his bunk above the cab and keeps his stuff hidden away up there. I am forced to train James to keep his stuff in order and to keep his area organized. He is beginning to take after his dad, such a beautiful trait.

Only a few things I'd change. If it was a tad warmer out, I'd sit outside more often and I would be in the pool with the kids. I am definitely looking forward to the summer. Between the beach and the pool I'm sure my little brown berries will be delighted with their new little life in paradise. We have made a home.










No comments:

Post a Comment