Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday - Day 9 - Time Stands Still

I sat in the park today watching the boys play while reading a book. I glanced at my watch and thought, 'wow it's only 1:30, I still have time to take to the boys to the library.'

I wondered why time seems to stand still in this place. Is it all the retires in no hurry to live their day? I'm not on vacation and normally time flies fast on our normal camping trips. It think I've found a worm hole where time has slowed down.

I pack the boys up and venture out of my hole into the fast paced world of reality. It's sill New Smyrna Beach, certainly not NYC, but people are hustling to get their lives in order. It is obvious I have left my little sanctuary.

I arrived at the library with no specific plan. The boys played for a bit and James found a few books and a DVD to check out. This is when my day gets complicated. The reality of having no physical address, and basically being homeless has strongly set in. I use to have a library card for this library, but the lady politely informs me it's expired and I owe seven dollars in late fees. Wow, not what I wanted to hear at this moment in time.

I have nothing to prove I actually live here, no utility bill, not a license in sight, not even a credit card or phone bill statement and I am left wondering what to do. I haven't even checked my PO Box for new mail yet. The lady hands me a huge list of documents I can use to reactive my card, I seriously have nothing. I graciously hand over the items we were about to check out and leave.

James was upset, but considering he was not behaving well I used his behavior as an excuse as to why we could not check out his books. Life throws us road blocks, I may as well use this one to teach my son a lesson.

I try hard not to feel as if I wasted my precision time, but as I enter the campground I see a luxury class A motorhome on a tow truck stuck at the exit. A sight I may never see again.

I consider the owner of the class A for a moment, reluctantly pulled out of our time forgiving sanctuary, not knowing if he'll ever return.

As I slowly drive down the narrow sandy road, fellow natives wave as I pass them by. Our secret is safe and secure, our smiles say it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment