Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday – Day 5 - Hot Showers


Taking a shower is such a good feeling.  But for some reason when you wait to take one every other day and have to walk to a separate building to take it in a community shared facility, it seems to feel even better.  

A few things I thought about today as I showered. I have showered in worse places. I took a trip to Haiti in my early twenties. I stayed at the nicest hotel available and still only had one stream of cool water to shower under and a sheet to dry off with. At that time I adjusted, but  still thought how do people live like this? No showers? Minimal water. Life can be hard, but we adapt. what choice do we have? 

Entering the bathroom I look around.  I see wood paneling, all wood enclosed bathroom stalls and old fashioned salmon colored curtains.  But, it's clean. And that's the most important thing.  I happen to look up after setting all my stuff out.  I choose the shower with no working light bulb.  Mental note; next shower pick the shower with the working light.  

As I wash my hair, in dim lighting, I am happy.  I need not worry about how much hair gets clogged in the drain.  It's those small things that truly count. I reach over to grab a razor out of my bag, I move the curtain just a little and see two little girls standing there peering over at me, giggling. I am sure they caught a glimpse of my wet naked body.  I pretend not to see them and continue enjoying my long hot shower.  The water pressure and temperature are perfect and the additional perks include no crying baby in the background and no one coming in to ask me questions.  Only me and the warmth of the water flowing over my previously chilled body.

I leave in the same clothes, a little wet but refreshed and clean. It can't get any better than this. I walk back to my camper, it's a gorgeous day and I take it all in.  I feel very fulfilled. 



View of the Ducks near the bathrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment