Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday - Day 17 - Fruit Salad Trees

This morning I took the boys on the walking path to "The Mall" which is code for strip mall with a Publix. What a perfect excuse to get the boys outside and enjoy the beautiful day that was upon us, and we were out of milk.

We walked right passed the lake and through a few "no trespassing" barricades, obviously to keep the pesky outsiders from intruding onto our safe haven. The birds were chirping and it felt great to be outside.

James was thrilled as we passed by the orange trees. He picked a few mini oranges with utter excitement. He had lots of questions about planting seeds and growing his own tree.

James decided he wants to grow a tree with 10 different kinds of fruit. We named all 10, even a few that don't grow on trees. At age five a tree with a watermelon sounds perfectly expectable.

When we arrived at Publix James picked out a big, juicy peach so he could plant it's seed and begin his magnificent tree.

I told him we'd also look for a fruit salad tree. I had just learned from a friend that a fruit salad tree will grow multiple fruits at once. I had no idea such a thing existed, but now that I know, I plan to help James' dream of growing a fruit tree come true.

I think planting seeds and growing fruit is something all kids are fascinated by. I remember burying and trying to grow my own peach tree in my front yard as a kid. It never grew, but I never stopped trying.

As adults I think we also plant seeds, but they are mental seeds. We plant seeds with our spouses, our family and friends and then we have our own seeds we plant within ourselves.

I told a very trusted friend today that she could do what we're doing, and live in their 5th wheel. They could rent their house, place most of their belongings in storage and snatch up the open spot next to us in April. It may sound radical, but I know how much they truly love to camp.

I continued to paint a picture. Our four boys would ride their bikes and play together. She and I would sit outside chatting over coffee or a glass of wine. Our husbands could do whatever it is that husbands do together. Most importantly we could help each other out all the time, anytime.

The reality is they could always move back to their house if it didn't work out. I simply planted a seed. It may or may not grow, but it's planted just in case.

My husband, John, plants seeds with me often. Living here is a perfect example. I sometimes think he is shocked when his seeds not only grow, but also flourish. He's the idea man and I am the one who follows through with inspiration to build on it. The seedling soon becomes our reality. It takes both of us, but it always seems to work out as long as we are both on board and we communicate often about what we both want.

I have decided from now on I will begin planting mental fruit salad seeds and see what new realities will manifest in my future.







No comments:

Post a Comment