Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saturday - Day 13 - Full-timers

My morning began with a hot luxurious shower. Feed a starving man a peanut and its a gourmet meal. As I made my walk at 7am I thought about some of the interesting people I have already met and wondered how many more I'd meet this upcoming week.

I already know that the retired folk like to have a good time. Plenty of laughter outside our camper until late last night. I suppose dollar drafts at the tiki bar for happy hour, combined with a live band at the pool, is enough to get any party started. I'm beginning to think this sneak peek into retirement life is pretty darn good.

I've decided to make a point to speak to more of my fellow retirement folk and learn their stories. I am most fascinated by the full timers and how they decided to stay and live forever in a campground.

John is home this weekend which is a treat for the boys and I. We all enjoy walks around the RV park together and he and I share our observations. We see lots of crafted wood signs with full names, an informal welcome to their little piece of paradise. It is both quaint and inviting. I make a mental note, get a wooden sign made for our home on wheels.

We also notice entire outdoor living spaces, laid with stones or mulch, fencing and gardens. More decorative then many full size homes.

Those enjoying their outdoor oasis wave at us, especially when they see little Ty in his stroller; the smallest resident at the park. I note expressions of joy and wonder, simple appreciation for our young boys. It's very endearing.

During our stroll we meet a nice man named Jimmy. He also had a sign with his and his wife's name carved in it. He greeted us easily and soon shared he was from the northeast, although his mannerisms and accent gave that away. He has lived at the campground for two years. I had just found my first story.

Two years ago he and his wife intended to be snow birds, but simply decided to stay after some urging from one of their children. Jimmy has a beautiful lush spot close to the facilities. He is happy and content. He enjoys racking his leaves just to pass the time.

His candidly told us his remaining children followed him here due to financial burdens up north. A clear reminder that times are hard most everywhere. In his life he has witnessed good times and hard times. He shared many things both John and I could relate to. He was witty and honest and real. But the most interesting aspect of his personality was his uncanny likeness to another friend of mine who grew up in the same NY borough as he did. It made me consider how small our world truly is.

We are all together, sharing and learning from one another. We have differences, but yet at the heart of it all we are all pretty much the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment