Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday – Day 7 - Moving The Fort

I remember as a kidmaking forts with my day bed bolsters. Remember those? – very 1970s.  Iwould get a blanket and drape it over my two bolsters laying side by side onthe floor.  Leaving just enough of a gap inbetween for me to crawl inside. I always grabbed a few snacks and laid in front of the boob tube all cozy and safe.  Not one care in the world.


Ironically, John mentioned setting up a fort today once we get to the new campground.  However his fort was outside.  The awning, a few chairs, a plastic storage unit and his grill. Everything a man needs for his man cave. 

Why is it we make these forts as kids and seem to seek them out in adulthood?  Whether it's in the safety of our bedrooms or even in our camper. Is this part of the attraction to RV living?  Everything we need safely packed away in our own small space.  Maybe we are bringing back memories in the womb feeling protective and warm; free from all worldly harm.


In America we tend to believe bigger is better, and I can vouch for this especially after residing in Texas.  However, the rest of the world lives in smaller spaces, own smaller cars and certainly own less stuff.  Maybe Americans haven’t reached that point of evolution yet. 

And here we are.  I like our new fort - it's perfect. 



 As we enter our campground.

Today we are settlers like our ancestors. We are getting acquainted to our land, our neighbors and our new surroundings. It is back to the basics.  I have an entire new understanding for the saying, "home is where the heart is.”  My heart is everywhere and we are home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment