Monday, September 2, 2013

Saturday - Day 188 - Life changing...

Today we spent the day with Marcella and Jack at the beach.  

It is what we do and how we spend a lot of time together.  We talk and share and catch up on life. 



Today was a particularly important time to see them.  Their grandfather had a massive heartache last week and he is in the hospital in critical care.  The kids are learning to cope with a traumatic life experience, and it has been hard. 

Having conversations and learning the progress of their grandfather resurfaced my own past experiences connected to my father. 

My father endured a long series of illness in a span of ten years before his passing.  He had open heart surgery, two hip replacements, a colonoscopy bag, and many other hospital stays I have since forgotten the details of.  The hardest part, of his hospital stays, was seeing him after surgery, with tubes and machines hooked up to him. 


I know the kids saw their grandfather in a similar state and I would guess it was the hardest thing they ever had to witness in their lives.

Base on what they have told me, their grandfather should pull through.  The entire experience has forced them to grow up a little, it shed light on how fragile life is, and to never to take anyone or anything for granted.  Life as they knew it had changed forever.  




No comments:

Post a Comment