Thursday, September 5, 2013

Tuesday - Day 191 - a musical magical thing & 88 keys

I looked into buying James a real keyboard today, one with eighty-eight keys.  "Where am I going to put it?"  I asked myself.  I suspected my husband would mirror my thoughts.  

I quickly assessed our living space.  Small, but adequate.  A stand is included in the price.  We could set it up for practice and store it when James is not using it.

Yamaha YPG-535 Portable Grand 88-key Keyboard

It's only temporary right?  I considered it a small, inconvenient, sacrifice for my son, and he deserves it, but has he earned it?  

I planned to work with James, everyday for at least a week on his current, smaller keyboard.  It was given to me, a few years ago, by my fabulous sister, it once belonged to my very musical niece.  She has since moved on to playing the guitar.  


James' current keyboard.  
He claimed his keyboard from our cabin,
 only a week after beginning his piano lessons. 
He is very resourceful!

James likes his keyboard, but the notes are stickered on it and he is aware that it is not the same as practicing with his teacher.  His teacher feels he is ready to transition and I think he is as well.  

I am amazed at how much James retains from week to week.  He has a knack for understanding concepts.  When we go through his piano book he teaches me things and I love it.  Practice has become a great bonding time for us. 

I am going to age myself instantly when I admit this, but I taught myself many of James beginner songs when I played the "Magical Musical Thing" as a kid.  I memorize and played the entire song 
book.  I loved that crazy thing.  


If I only still had my
"Magical Musical Thing"

I can still recall the squence of notes after reviewing James' music book.  Maybe I'm a little more musical then I initially thought.  

Considering John mastered the Saxophone growing up and my own magical musical experience, James may actually have a fighting chance at some inherent talent.  Hmmm, who would have thought?  ;). 



No comments:

Post a Comment