Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday - Day 268 - darkness

Ever since the time change, the camper has become darker and darker with each passing evening. 




Right around 5:30pm, I look outside and than at the clock, and I think, 'it looks like the middle of the night. It is pitch black outside.'

And then I wonder, 'how soon can I start getting the boys ready for bed? It's dark, they need to be sleeping.'  Meanwhile, James is out riding his bike without a care in the world.  He isn't scared, which is great, but I still like him home once that sun sets quickly down.  

James makes his way indoors, right around the time I'm ready to look for him.  Like clockwork, James comes home, eats dinner, takes a shower, reads bedtime books and he's in bed, ready to go to sleep by 7:30pm.  It's a wonderful little routine.  Some days he completes homework and practices piano, if he did not do it after school. 

My son is wise, "Mom, it'll get dark soon, can I go out to play?"  He will tell me this after we arrive home from school.  Some days I let him play to indulge in some downtime before homework.  Other days, he will get his homework done immediately, motivated to get it finished quickly.  

On frequent, tired afternoons, James may take a quick nap after falling asleep on the car ride home.  Other days he is a bear, roaring and cranky, his brain shuts down and there is no reasoning with a quiet brain and an emotionally, tired driven child. 

James on a bad afternoon

I love James and I am amazed how I have learned to cope and manage difficult afternoons without getting upset or emotional with him.  I can not control his feelings, allowing him to resolve his mood in his own time, it helps both of us immensely.  

James always finds his way and my sweet, loving son is back with me again.  

In the evenings, before I can blink an eye, the boys are both sleeping soundly, happy content and safe.  

It Is dark in the camper and my cubs are down for the night.   







No comments:

Post a Comment