Saturday, November 2, 2013

Wednesday - Day 248 - New Kid

James has a new kid in his class.  He is Swedish, from Sweden.  He looks Swedish and he sounds Swedish.  He's an interesting new addition to the class.  



James does not realize he and his new classmate could have ancestors in common.  I told James he is Swedish too, but I don't think he understands the concept of his heritage. 

The fact that he and his new Swedish friend look like exact opposites doesn't help me make that comparison, but maybe that is exactly why I want James to learn and understand.  

Although, James may look like his me, he can not deny his father's roots, which could not be any more different than mine.  This makes him unique, an excellent gene pool mix.  He will identity with many backgrounds as he gets older.  

In the future, I look forward to visiting all of the places my children's grandparents came from to ensure they feel connected to their heritage and history.


Sweden (25%)

Italy (25%)

Puerto Rico (25%)

Germany

England

Ireland

In the meantime, it is my job to make sure James and Ty know that although people may look different on the outside, we are often surprised at how similar we all are on the inside.  

Our similarities often out way our differences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment