Monday, December 9, 2013

Thursday - Day 284 - Yoga: the good, the bad & the ugly

I started going to hot yoga again after almost a year of putting it off.  It felt great and I am extremely happy I returned to a class.

I threw myself into a 90 minute class, 100 and something degree yoga class.  It is hot and it puts a dent into my morning, but I am always happy I did it afterwards.  Even when it's hard and I'm sweating profusely, it is exactly what I want, what I need.

Specifically I am going to a Bikram hot yoga class, which is unique in that the classes are the same no matter where you attend them.  And you do the same exact 26 poses each class... twice. 

The Bikram 26 

When I lived in Texas, I went to SunStone yoga.  They had a variety of classes, some hotter, harder and longer than others.  It was a lot of fun to try something new and to mix it up with different classes.  I also had the opportunity to attend classes with friends, Rebecca and Yen and I shared many classes making the entire experience better, we entertained each other and survived the heat together.  

In Texas, the workout rooms were better ventilated and did not constantly stink like old gym socks.  The schedule was much more flexible and I loved the 6am yoga classes, especially when it was still dark outside.  Afterwards, I still had an entire day to tackle, rejuvenated after yoga. 

Yoga is absolutely energizing and relaxing at the same time.  It keeps mind, body and soul in sync.  Each class gets a little easier and strengthens the mind to push the body to it's limits.  The heated room is not nearly as agonizing after the first class.  

It's incredible what the body will do when the mind thinks it can do it. 

I will take advantage of my current yoga schedule, but will keep my options open, maybe I'll find a 6am class somewhere nearby.  I'll always be thinking of my Texas friends as I stretch and moan and groan with strangers who know nothing about me.  

I will continue to learn and get better at my yoga poses as I try not to inhale the last person's stinky sweat on the carpet, as I begin my floor series.  

Little Humor to the mix


The end result is what counts, and if its mind over matter, I can always push the negative downfalls and focus on the positive benefits. 

Eyes open and focused, grateful for what I have and what I do, but always prepared to make room for improvements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment