Saturday, December 21, 2013

Thursday - Day 291 - hospital hideaway

I live in a camper. Some people live in smaller accommodations.  Small apartments - their vans.   I visited with my mom in a Hosptial room today and throughout the entire week. 

It is of course not the ideal situation to visit anyone, specifically in the critical care units, however, hospitals have change tremendously since I use to visit my father after his operations twenty years ago.  

Depending on what part of the country you live in, you can get some very nice accommodations staying at a hospital.  

The lap of luxury ;)

I know from experience.  

Since I visited my dad at St. Francis hospital in Port Washington, I noticed the following changes.  

Maybe it's me, but the staff seem nicer, they are also younger.  This was a totally different experience, more like hanging with the cast from Greys Anatomy.  


Young Cast of characters

The hospital was cleaner.  Maybe there are more regulations or an influx of money to keep the hospital cleaner these days.  

Each nurse or physician uses disposable gloves and hand sanitizer, even if they aren't doing much to the patient.  Twenty years ago sanitizer did not exist and plastic gloves were not disposable.  

The cliché about hospital food is not so cliché anymore.  Now there is a full blown menu you can pick and choose three meals a day, including dessert and have it delivered anytime.  All the food looks good and is well received.  Not so bad for a long or short hospital stay. 




No one is bugging you about visiting hours or if you are visiting all day long.  You can sit and visit and drink free coffee into the wee hours of the night if you so choose.  

I enjoyed sitting with my mom.  Sometimes we chatted about nothing important, sometime we sat quietly and she napped. Other times she had visitors or phone calls.  The time was easy and unassuming.  I had no place I needed to be and my time was committed to her. 


 

Even when times are not easy, the serenity of being comforted by those you love is a powerful tool to find peace in our hearts.   -LN

No comments:

Post a Comment