Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Friday - Day 236 - New York, NY

New York - New York.   

"Start spreading the news, I am leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York" 
memorable words sung by Frank Sinatra


Even when you move out of New York, New York never completely leaves you.  

New York encompasses all the good and all the bad anyone could ever say about a large metropolitan city.  There is no place on earth quite like New York and it takes hold of who you are, defining you to the very core.  

Each time I go 'home', I am reminded effortlessly of my old life, the familiarity of my hometown is both warm with comfort and chilly with memories.  


Port Washington, NY
Michele Sakhai Galley


I can pin point specific events, people I was with, stages of my life, all in one instant.   It is an eerie combination I can only describe as a haunting love.  


Port Washington, NY
Michele Sakhai Galley

I walk to stores and down streets with a twist in perspective.  I feel different, freer, happier, I'm a better person.  My old restricting life is behind me, trying to catch up, as more distance grows between us.  

But, now that I have more life experience, I know my previous life is long gone, never to be recreated again.


Port Washington, NY


Port Washington, NY

My old self is a familiar stranger.  She is there, but she knows nothing about the new person she will become.  She'll stare with wide eyes, wondering when will she take that leap of faith, a change that will alter her life forever.  

Change is difficult, but always worth the risk.  


No comments:

Post a Comment