Saturday, October 5, 2013

Monday - Day 218 - Push or Pull?

I watched this video on a whim.  My curious son watched over my shoulder.  

It's a commercial for cat food, but Eva Longoria is more enticing than the food. That was of course the point.  What caught my attention was the music, Eva dancing around her house was a bonus.  If only all of us were as free spirited and as happy as Eva is in this commercial - ALL the time.  


lucky little cat - very smart marketing

My sons response after watching this commercial with me was, "mom they are just loving one another".   I couldn't help but smile at my sons view of the world.


I rarely see commericals.  My son thinks they are a novelty.  We cut mainstream TV (cable hook up) about six years ago.  It was before Netflix and Hulu.com became popular.  At that time blockbuster video stores still existed.  Instead of watching cable television, we rented series like LOST from the public library for free.  We watched DVDs and streamed other content into our home.  It was a pull instead of push mentality with regard to television.  It became our choice on what and when we watched television and commercials were more or less nonexistence.


www.hulu.com

Today we still watch Hulu.com, but have since upgraded to HuluPlus, and Hulu has since integrated with our DVD players and our internet televisions, (courteous of CampingWorld).   

Netflix is still a popular choice in our home, but they have since changed their business model.  Do you want to stream video or have DVDs  mailed to you?  We opt to do both.  Netflix also now integrates with games consoles, Internet TVs and DVD players.

Netflix.com

We also utilize antenna TV for local channels and the campground has a few cable channels, but I rarely watch live TV.  This means I still hardly ever watch commercials.  I see the short versions on Hulu.com, but for the most part mainstream commercial marketing rarely gets my attention.....until today.  

Here I am, catching a commercial online and looking for the Youtube version to watch it over and over again (and to get the right version for this blog).  I will confess, my cat will not be as 'lucky' as the cat in the commercial.  I won't be dancing around, feeding him premium cat food, and I'm sure Eva is booked dancing for other cats.

Pulling television into our home is something I will probably always chose to do, it is something I have learned to adapt to and have grown to prefer.  As a result, it has been a huge advantage for my children, there are no commercials pushed into our home.   I am not a casualty of large child marketing campaigns.   

How will our choices change in another six years?  My guess is more pull less push.  


No comments:

Post a Comment