Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Thursday - Day 235 - the heart matters

Traveling out of necessity is always a different experience when traveling for pleasure. 

Whether we travel for work or to visit a sick relative, there is a different level of expectation associate with the trip.  

I view the airlines as Greyhound bus or an Amtrak train, get me from point A to B in the most efficient, effortless manner possible.  I have no preconceived notions that it is the beginning of a vacation to paradise, therefore every moment of my experience does not need to be exciting and happy.  I don't really expect anything good or bad.  

It is in these moments of no expectations we see the most good in our lives. 

I enjoyed the luxury of having an entire row to myself, (the benefits of booking a last minute flight).  I was sitting in front of a beautiful family, with two little girls, a toddler and a baby.  I appreciated the family dynamics, allowing my thoughts to drift to my own boys who were safe at home.  

Soon after take off, a woman needed medical attention and the flight attendant made an announcement over the PA. "Does anyone have experience in the medical field?....."  In a matter of minutes, a young mother, who happen to be a pediatrician, walked past me down the aisle.  A registered nurse came to assist, the young father behind me was a Pathologist and stood up to provide his services,  a few others doctors came to the woman's aid as well. 

It was a true scene of humanity, one we often do not witness until there is an emergency.  We, as humans, do have an overwhelming need to give and care for others, on many levels.  At times it is hard to recognize and we do not reveal that side of our heart as often as we may want to, but it is always there. 



Making a decision to leave my family and be in New York with my mother was an impulse decision, one I even doubted.  Am I overreacting?  Does she truly need me, or even wanted me there?  Deep down my desires were sincere, but our brain tells a very different story compared to our heart. 

I remind myself each day to act with care and love, because these are the most difficult emotions to show, particually to those we are closest to.  We take them for granted and forgot our basic instint to care above anything else. 

I prayed for the sick woman on my flight and hoped she'd make it home safely.  That was all I could offer.  I am not sure what was ultimately wrong with her.  I overheard she needed a dermatologist and a diabetic blood sugar test.  All that truly mattered was she needed help and strangers were there to help her, and they did so the entire flight to New York. 

A police officer was waiting outside when we walked off the plane.  The sick woman was having a difficult day, I wondered if her loved ones would be empathetic to her needs.  

It is a constant emotional struggle to be judgement free when dealing with 'matters of the heart'.




No comments:

Post a Comment