Sunday, October 27, 2013

Monday - Day 239 - Saying Good-Bye

I woke up at 4:30 am to catch my flight out of New York and make the trek back to my home in Florida.  It is times like these, I wish my mother did not live so far away; saying "Good-Bye" was not an easy thing to do.

I promised my mother, I would visit again as soon as I could and I would make more frequent trips to see her.  It would be a challenge, with tight November and December schedules, a potential job opportunity looming overhead and my husband's tight schedule, but I truly believe: "when there is a will, there is a way".  Anything is possible once perspective is placed around a situation.




As I sat in my airline seat, ready to take off, my thoughts drifted to my mom, "How will she cope?"  "Would her spirits lift or would she continue on as she is?"  

Overall, she is frail, discouraged, struggling with her breathing and has other health issues.  My mother's response to me when I had asked her, "But what happened?  You were managing on your own and well, when we were here in May."  She claimed her body was failing her.  She feels that age has simply caught up to her.  

This is a sobering reality.  But if she could only just...... I considered my own thought process and how I would mange with my own aging dilemmas.

I do not believe aging aliments are solely due to genetics.  We may indeed have predispositions to certain diseases, however what we think and how we think plays a significant role in what manifests throughout our physical bodies.  

I have excellent examples of friends, relatives and even myself, where positive thinking, good intentions, and true hope, without significant worry, have created something short of miracles in our lives every day.

To believe is to "BE A LIVE!"

As I sat on my airline flight, I thought long and hard about what I would do if this was the last time I saw my mother alive.  Deep down, I do not necessarily think this to be true; however, I engaged the possibility as to not be naive around the fact that she is an aged, almost 78 year old, woman.  Her ability to continue as she is, without hope playing a role, is my only true concern.


"Hope" is the difference between Heaven and Hell


I, in turn, give my mother spiritual hope, I give her something to look forward to when I talk to her about her grandchildren, I write and talk about my mother, knowing positive thoughts and prayers will be sent to her.  I will not let her go on without a fighting chance to be happy in the time that follows.  

People often talk about "life being short", however, the magnitude of these words, compounded by a loved one facing their own mortality gives these words an entire new meaning.

 Life becomes shorter when you look back at the life you have already lived.  


Today will be better than yesterday



No comments:

Post a Comment