Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thursday - Day 228 - GOOD GOD!

God was at Panera.

When did Panera Bread become a meeting place for spiritual enlightenment?

I was sitting by myself, studying, enjoying a cup of coffee.  It's hard to not hear other people's conversations when you're alone.  Without meaning to, I overheard a men's religious group meeting.

I was unsure if they were a prayer group, or if it was a ministry training, but I am sure there was a leader.  He was teaching and leading the others.

I did not listen the entire time, but occasionally I would hear reference to gods word or living and struggling with temptation.

That word intrigues me. What is temptation?  Who is tempted and how? My guilty pleasures are hardly sinful, but what were these men tempted by?  Is it anything or any feeling that temps them to live a less than Christian life?

I was raised catholic which equates guilt.  I had rules to follow, sins to avoid and commandments to obey.  I also had a privileged opportunity to go on a pilgrimage to Lourdes, France in my early twenties.  It gave me tremendous appreciation for my religious roots, and helped me reevaluate my core beliefs. 

Lourdes, France
My current view on religion consists of the Golden Rule, honesty and love.  If were to start my own religion, my only words of wisdom would be to care for others the way you would want to be cared for.   

We are all trying to find our way,
 but we choose different methods to get there.  

I admire people who are devoted to organized religion. They openly put themselves in a position requiring that they hold themselves to a higher standard. They must practice what they preach in plain site.  They have clear boundaries to maintain.  

I prefer to be low key regarding my own spiritual beliefs, and feel religion is a very personal experience.  When a new friend invites me into their church I am surprised, flattered and grateful, but never feel it is the right path for me. 

Listening to the gentleman next to me, sharing their words of love for god gave me a thoughtful moment.  I chose to share that moment in my writing.  Those men have now, through my own moved spirit, given anyone reading my words a thoughtful moment.  Isn't that what life is all about, connecting with ourselves and with others in spirit and in love.






No comments:

Post a Comment