Sunday, August 11, 2013

Friday - Day 166 - Childhood Playmates

James made friends with a family who was tent camping today, this was unusual because normally he makes friends with other RVers. 

In the uncomfortably warm summer air, I chatted with the mother of the kids James was playing with.  I found myself thinking, "Wow, it is hot outside, I can not wait to get back to my perfectly air conditioned camper".   And then instantly I thought, "That nice family is stuck outside in the heat and their tent."  

Although, I am living in an RV, the reality that I am enjoying luxury next to the tent dwellers was extremely humbling.  

I truly felt concern for this particular family and their children. "What if it rains?  Should I offer to take them in?"  It was a fleeting thought, but it crossed my mind with potential storms always looming somewhere nearby.  

I was happy to get inside my comfortable camper and if I did not speak briefly with the mother of James' new playmates, I would not have thought much about my fellow campers in their tents. 

I had let the mom know we were full timers and she commented that there were some beautiful campers in the campground.  I secretly wondered if she had seen ours.  She knew I was checking in to see who James was spending his time with.  Her children were adorable,  a sweet, young two year old boy and a five or six year old girl.  James was enjoying his time with them and from what I observed all was good.  

James is his own person and he always finds his place with other children.  I admire who he is and enjoy his ability to always be himself in all situations.  He was happy to play with the new little kids, they were important to him and it made no difference that they were tent camping.  The size of their camper or lack there of, was irrelevant to James along with the color of their skin or their social economic background.  It's a beautiful, perfect way to be in life.  

When does this perspective change and develop into judgements?  I hope my son is always fluid in his relationships and never judges those around him based on personalty, appearance or how much 'stuff' they do or don't have.  Judgements often come from both sides and we all tend to think the grass is greener on the other side at some point in our lives. 

We were all children without judgements once upon a time, we were happy to get along and play with one another. 
How and when do we become divided, jaded or jealous?  How and when do we become better then someone else, smarter or different?  When does our childhood confidence, turn into ego or low self esteem? 

I remember having many different types of friends as a child.  They were my friends and I didn't necessarily care what country they were from or which neighborhood they lived in.  They were my friends and that was all that mattered.  I look back today knowing some were rich, while others were not.  Some had a fascinating upbringing and lived in far away places, while others grew up in our town their entire lives.  

I wonder how my childhood friends are and if any of them my read my blog.  If you are one of my childhood friends, I wish you well and I hope happiness and joy has always found its way to you.  

Childhood friendships are special.  No one will ever understand us quite the same as our childhood playmates. 









No comments:

Post a Comment