Thursday, August 29, 2013

Monday - Day 183 - Here today, gone tomorrow

James and l left the campground early today, headed for school.  James had observed the bicycles on the camper exiting in front of us.  

He was excited, yet disappointed at the same time.  "Mom, my friends are leaving!!" he bursted.  

The bittersweet reality of regularly making lots of new friends at the campground is they never stick around.  

This could be a benefit, no pressure on the friendship and the relationship is easygoing.  It can also be a bummer knowing the friendship is short lived.  Another downside is I beleive James forgets or doesn't have time to learn names.  He always refers to them as "my friends" or "those boys".  My son would not do well on social media. ;). 

We waved at "his friends'" camper as we drove by it.  I'm sure their father saw us.  I wondered if they would remember James, did they even know his name? 

James and I talked about it while driving to school.  He understood and was very mature about the nature of his friendships.  James made a point to tell me, "Andrew , never leaves."  Andrew is one of his friends who is also our neighbor and they have been buddies since we moved in.  

I often think James has an easier time with the temporary kids then those who are permanent residents.  I am curious as to how many of the kids passing through are full time travelers, (not weekend warriors). How does it change their interactions with James compared to kids who have only lived in one place their entire lives.  

Children often change and are influenced when they are mainstreamed into the school systems.  Personalities get modeled differently compared to children who are home schooled and travel the country.  They live two distinct worlds.  Both have there benefits and flaws, but I would be interested in understanding the long term effects nonetheless.  

In Conjunction with Full-Time RVing

What are the long term benefits into adulthood?


In the meantime, I will continue to watch my son learn and grown as friends come in and out of his life.  

I am always very honest with James about the realities of our life.  Enjoy your friends today, because one day they may be gone.  And he reassures me, "I know, mom, it's okay".  

No comments:

Post a Comment