Monday, August 26, 2013

Friday - Day 180 - "Oh Chute!"

I learned a valuable lesson today, one that would stay with me for many years to come.

I made a rash decision to leave the RV through our backdoor, I was planning to grab the leash tied to our picnic table and walk the dog.

I pulled at the main door and quickly realized it was locked.  Our backdoor has never been unlocked due to a manufactures flaw and I had been locking the main door on and off all day to prevent James from running inside and potentially letting the dog run away.

With that said, here I was standing outside the RV, locked out, while Rabbit and Ty were inside, slowing getting out of control. 


What am I going to do?  How can I get inside the camper?  Pry the door open? Try my car key in the lock, which almost worked.  And then it came to me, the laundry chute!

I ran around to the other side of the RV and checked the opening.  Could I push myself through?  Not a chance.


No way I'd fit through that hole

Where was my son?  James could get through the opening with no problem.  All I needed to do was find him.  I looked around briefly, and recruited our neighbor's son to help, he could move quicker on his bike.

While I waited for James' friend to find him, I pushed the screen out of one of the windows closest to the main door and held Ty's hand to relieve his crying.  He wanted me and all I could do was wait for James to come save the day. 

Little Ty reached out this window for me


Five minutes later, James came running over, he understood my directions instantly and was ecstatic to help.  With a little help, he climbed up through the laundry chute and opened the door. 

After he opened the door for me, he climbed backout of the RV through the chute and asked, "Mom, can I do it again?"  I am sure he'll remember the day he climbed through the laundry chute to save mom's day. 


The infamous laundry chute! 
(view from inside) 

I will remember it as the day I was stupid enough to get locked out of the RV and left Ty inside.  Thank God for my son and the laundry chute! 




No comments:

Post a Comment