Thursday, August 22, 2013

Monday - 176 - bridge to success


Today, James is officially a kindergartener. I can remember my own kindergarten days, and now my son is creating his own memories.  

I watched James as he got ready this morning, ready to conquer his new world with enthusiasm.  He wore his nice shoes and collared shirt.  I fought tears thinking there would be a day he would not need me to pick out his clothes or make his lunch.  It was a sober reminder that he had begun his own life journey and soon (i use this word loosely) he would no longer need to depend on me or his dad for many things.  


First Day of many

He would form his own thoughts, and his own opinions, he would find his own way.  My role would evolve and change from caregiver to life guide to mentor.  Each stage will force me to give up some control over his life decisions and allow him to make his own choices and learn his own lessons.  Mom and dad will no longer have ALL the answers, but we would always be there with love, care and support.  

James had a good day.  He was happy and confident.  I do not doubt he will find his way no matter what life throws at him.  His positive attitude and ability to interact with others sets him apart.  

I look forward to his progress and to watch his growth during this year.  I am told by many parents of school age children that these years move quickly, and before we realize it, our little kindergarteners will have grown into young adults.

I imagine we mentally build a bridge to success.  One end depicting where we have been as children and the other end is where we are headed into adulthood.  The design and architecture of the bridge is very unique personal to each individual. 

  

How will James build his bridge?



No comments:

Post a Comment