Friday, August 30, 2013

Tuesday - Day 184 - Mastering our way

I have a lot of catching up to do if I want James to succeed at playing the piano.

After completing the book "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom", and then taking James to his piano  lesson, I now understand the differences between dedicate musicians and those passing through.

I am not a musically talented person, this may be due to music not being my birth right, or it could be that no one pushed me to learn and develop an interest.

In the book, Tiger Mom's girls evolved into prodigies and were breed to play the piano and violin.  They worked ridiculously hard to perfect their musical skills.  They were extremely talented, however without practice they would not have been exceptional.  

A fascinating aspect of the book to me was how the mother had to learn conceptually how to master both instruments while her girls practiced.  Learning to technically play an instrument is not enough, a talented musician feels the music, they become one with their instrument and are able to communicate a story while playing.  All of these aspects are what set apart a person who can play well with one who is truly gifted.  


Making this leap is an extraordinary moment, which is why learning to play at a very young age is an important element to mastering an instrument.  Children have no bounties and can adapt easier and be taught differently then a person who already has life experiences.

John and I agreed we started James' piano lessons a little late, but overall he has potential to play well, if I also choose to learn and grow with him.  He will need to practice and develop a love for playing the piano.  I am curious as to how he will evolve.  




I am faced with a challenge as well.  My love for James will force me to overcome my musical apprehensions.  I must develop a love to learn how to play right along with him and be with him every step of the way. 












No comments:

Post a Comment